Monday, February 12, 2007

Good Day

For those of you wondering how Nina's day at school went, she said she had a good day. Nina was very excited over the weekend and a little nervous this morning. Her eyes got pretty big when I said goodbye and she realized I was really leaving her there. I went to pick her up and she practically skipped out of the building with a big smile and big wave. The head guy walked her to the car and said she had a good day.

She said a boy winked at her, there wasn’t much food at lunch, she had a hard time with her locker combination, there was a girl and several boys who spoke Russian, and most of her class speaks Spanish. We struggled a bit with both of them when we got home. Gideon was so glad to see Nina he was bouncing off the walls. Nina was tired and didn’t want anything to do with him. There were some tense moments but it was a good day all around.

Gideon also had a better than average day. We only had 3 punishable offenses all day. However by the time Bruce got home I was SO ready for him to be here it was not even funny.

The High schools all start at 7:40!!!!!!! That means we have to leave the house at 7:00! You know how much I LOVE getting up early. The day is much longer when it starts at 6 instead of 9. In those brief moments when I can think objectively I am aware that we have had the kids with us just a short time (I think this is the 4th week of having them both.) But in general the last 3 weeks – okay 10 weeks - have been the longest of my life. It seems an eternity separates our DINK life (Double Income No Kids) from life with kids. It feels like they have been ours forever and I mean that in a good way.

As I write this Bruce is having his first experience helping his child do their math homework (Nina obviously). We agreed he has Math and Science and I will cover the other subjects. There are moments when it just seems weird that we are suddenly doing all the parenting things we are doing. But truthfully we wouldn't trade it for anything.

Gideon has had a couple of really good days, hopefully we are turning the corner with him, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. He is always going to be active and strong willed but in the last two days I have gotten a lot more kisses and snuggles than in the weeks before.

If you are reading this and are considering adoption I recommend you read the Stewarts latest blog. It gives an honest look at some of the more unpleasant aspects of adopting as well as the joys. I will just add an amen to what she said.

Peace,
BLN&G

3 comments:

adoptedthree said...

I love the picture you added of the kids they are beautiful!
Congrads

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the great picture on Nina and Gideon!! Beautiful!! What a great life you will all now experience together!!

Esther

Anonymous said...

Lori, Bruce, Nina, and Gideon,
We are so happy for you guys and continue to keep you in our prayers!

May God continue to bless you!
Phil, Mary,
Karan, and Lauren