Monday, December 11, 2006

After the Appointment

Well . . . we are on quite the roller coaster ride.

We went in this afternoon for our apointment. They asked us what age child we were looking for. We told them we would be willing to take a younger sybling group if they were available. They told us there were none in the under 6 age bracket. They then asked whether we wanted a boy or a girl. We said boy.

They then showed us 5 beautiful boys. Bruce and I were both drawn to one in particular. A blonde grey-eyed three year old. We were told that he did have an older sister who was born in the 90's but that was all the info they had in his file. After a little discussion amongst ourselves we asked if she was also available.

They went and found her file and came back. The form described her as pleasant and cheerful. And she is

(wait for it)

16. I joked once too often about not bringing home a teenager!

When we asked about what the form said she was like, they said they would phone the orphanage and ask. They were trying to get some info from the internet on her when the electricity went down which ended that possibility. They took Gayla's phone number and said they would call with the info when they had it. In the mean time they said they would begin drawing up the paper work for both kids.

A few minutes later they called and the news wasn't good. She apparently has some behavior problems and has run away from the orphanage several times. Our facilitators have impressed upon us that this is serious.

We plan to go ahead and meet them both. The girl has the choice of whether or not she wants to be adopted. They have only been in the system for 18 months. Parental rights were terminated and there is a record of drug use at least with some of the extended family.

Pray for us. Pray very hard. We are ready (I think) to take this girl home but . . .

We will probably meet them on Wednesday. They are both in the same city about 2 hours west of here in different orphanages. The older sibling has the potential to complicate a lot of things. We feel we need to at least meet her and see what God tells us. In the last two hours we have swung through every emotion. There may yet be a good cry in this for us both.

Peace of Christ
Lori & Bruce

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce & Lori,

Good Luck on your journey! Mark and I are thinking of you and praying for you!

Kathy & Mark Stim

krista said...

Hi Bruce and Lori. Just wanted to let you know that I am keeping everyone updated. We are praying and thinking about you all constantly!!! Take care!!!
Krista.

jason and karen said...

I would like to say I'm surprised, but... I have seen how wonderful you are with teenagers (like Bruce's nephew!)

I was so excited to see you had posted TWICE since I last checked (I have been a bit interested in seeing how things are going for ya'll). Keep those blogs coming... we love to hear ALL of it.

Our prayers are with all of you. Can't wait to hear tomorrow's news!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Bruce and Lori,

We are praying for you. We love you and your children so very much. I will be praying for discernment and peace for you as you receive your little (or not so little) ones.

Lynne, et al

Unknown said...

Every child needs a home, but you shouldn't do forced adoption. Forced adoption is wrong. Children need to know their roots and their mom and their dad is their mum and their dad.
href="http://www.communigate.co.uk/wales/parentsagainstforcedadoptionpafa/" Parents against forced adoption

Anonymous said...

Supporting you with love and prayers. Will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Love
Cathy

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. I am sure choosing a child/ren is a very tough decision but you are well equipped with an enoromous amount of love and faith. Thanks for keeping a blog - I can't wait to read more!
Emily H.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope all goes well with the meeting. I am confident that you will know in your hearts what is right. Know that you are covered with our prayers and the prayers of many others. God be with you. Love you so much.
Karlie and Tom

Anonymous said...

Bruce and Lori,
I, too, am so excited with how frequently you are able to post. Reading your post, esp. the end, "Cry Out to Jesus" was in my head. I know you both are, and so many of us are for you. I pray that you'll have peace no matter how you decide, but I too agree that you're great with teenagers. Plus, that could be a babysitter- ha. ;)
I love you both and am so excited to be able to read about this amazing journey.

Andrea Ragsdale

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you all during this incredibly emotional time.

Love,
Michele, Truman and Jack.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong, you two. Your strength, love, and faith will pull you through all of this. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

George & Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Nice site! Good resources here. I will bookmark!

Anonymous said...

I see first time your site guys. I like you :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!