Thursday, March 1, 2007

March 1

Well, we have passed the one month mark at home. Gideon is making great progress. He pretty much cries every time I leave him. He also gets upset when we leave Nina at school in the morning. His behavior continues to improve. He often chooses to control himself instead of disobeying and is even doing better on the hitting and biting front. Now if we could just get him to stop scratching and pinching. . . well one step at a time.

Nina has hit the frustration stage. She told me she has no thought of returning to Ukraine but she is very frustrated and angry this week. I think we are going to seek out an English tutor for her. I don't know if a Russian speaking or ESL tutor would be better. Please give us a holler if you have suggestions or experience in this. We are very glad to receive input. Pray for her as she makes this hurdle, we are told it is a common one that older children go through.

I am doing much better this week than last. Bruce is as well. We are just a touch sleep deprived.

As always your prayers are coveted. I have felt a true sense of God presence and purpose in our circumstances. I don't know the purpose at this time, but I know it has all been God's timing.

Sorry so short, but it grows late and I have miles to go . . .

Peace,
BLN&G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Lori

I had written to you while you were in Ukraine. We came home in October with a 15 year old (now 16)
girl and 12 year old boy we had hosted.

My daughter too has spoken of returning to Ukraine even though we all know it is not what she wants.

I am only a few months ahead of you, but would be happy to compare notes and tell you about our experience.

You can email me at adoptioninmotion@yahoo.com. Our blog which has some details is
also on blogger. It is ForSarah2006. Good luck. Trish

Elizabeth said...

Hey guys,


Glad to hear things are improving at home. Having worked as an ESL tutor I would suggest someone who speaks both Russian and English to help Nina. You might want to try and contact someone in the newly created Russian department at U of L. There may be a student there that is young enough to connect with Nina, but has a hold on Russian and English. It may just be that in the process of learning English it would be comforting to have someone who speaks her native language. You might have luck with calling the REACH center at U of L as well. They provide free tutoring to U of L students. They won't be able to set up anything for you specifically, but they will be able to post the tutoring requests for their students. Here is the webpage. http://www.reach.louisville.edu/tutoring/general/
I know there's a tutor there minoring in Russian and my friend Lindsay works there. I don't know about Russian but she has a flare for languages and will be doing Teach for America next year so she might be able to help. I'll let her know your situation and she if she has any suggestions. Good luck guys! I'm thinking about you! The prayers are constant too.

Love,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hey, I agree with the previous comment. with all the rule to english is t will be easier to explain why or why not to mina in a native tongue. It also will help her learn to express her trouble and opinion easier having a "friend" who speaks both languages to help her communicate with you. Later see you at the Frio!!!! I am doing good loving school but also looking forward to GRAD DAY.

Anonymous said...

Lori & Bruce,

I sent an email to Lori's address. I may have a contact name for you, but I'm not sure yet. Will let you know when I hear more.

Kathy Stim (Janssen)